Tuesday 23 June 2015

Take Advantage of Disadvantage

Nettle leaved bell-flower.

Take Advantage of Disadvantage 
Blanca Trevino 
President and CEO at Softtek

Oh, to be 22 again… the juxtaposition of freedom from school 
and the long-anticipated entrance into the working world. 
I started working my first job at Dinámica (technology subsidiary of one of the largest industrial groups in Mexico at the time) during college, at age 19. Over the next couple of years,
many of my girlfriends were getting married, having children, and pursuing their passion
to raise a family.  (My, how times have changed, as today’s Millennials are putting marriage
on the back burner in pursuit of travel, career focus, and further education.)
While I was very content in the working world, my thoughts at age 22 were not completely different from those of my friends. I always knew I wanted to be a mom, and during those days
I was wondering who would be my "other half." Owning a business was not on my radar.
Though I respected Dinámica, it had its limitations: corporate policy prohibited married women
from working. Until that point, I had never felt disadvantaged for being a woman.
Thankfully, my mom was an extraordinary role model for me and undoubtedly progressive
for the times (in Mexico, and anywhere) — mother of six, she pursued a degree in psychology
after raising us kids. In the male-dominated field of information technology,
where mainframe computers and men in blue suits dominated the corporate world,
my gender had not presented an obstacle.
Fortunately, this came at the time where a few of my co-workers at Dinámica
were leaving the company to join a new startup, Softtek.
That was my shift in focus; and the opportunity where I’ve since been fulfilling my dream.
I’ve had plenty of hiccups during my 30 years at Softtek (see my post on how we led our company into bankruptcy). 
However, one of the constant guiding principles that has carried me through
many experiences, personally and professionally, 
has been leveraging (or creating) opportunities in both the good times and the bad. 
Some the best outcomes in my life have happened amidst the most trying of moments.
There is a plethora of inspirational examples of organizations and individuals
overcoming disadvantage. Recently, we’ve seen remarkable turnarounds from companies like 
Delta Airlines and Domino’s. Even companies we consider disruptors like Netflix or Tesla 
have made drastic comebacks in times of crisis. On the brink of bankruptcies
or nearing obsolescence, these organizations took their downfall by the reins to not only get
their heads back above water but to gain back huge market shares.
The stories of author of the Harry Potter series JK Rowling and talk show host Oprah Winfrey 
going from rags to riches are prolific examples in today’s era.  German composer Ludwig van Beethoven went nearly deaf before creating much of his world-renowned music;
and Frida Kahlo, Mexican painter, pursued art amidst lifelong disabilities through polio
and a severe car accident. One may argue that these success stories were spurred
not despite these disadvantaged conditions, but actually because of them.
Today, I have two daughters in their 20s, and I am a grandma. Through my decisions,
I try to be a role model for perseverance — the power to pave their own path in life,
regardless of limitations. Unfortunately, as we know, often the best opportunities to gain clarity,
and effectively identify the variables you can control, are moments of crisis.
As Thomas Edison said, “Many of life’s failures 
are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/i-were-22-take-advantage-disadvantage-blanca-trevino



Introduction to Turbo Charged Reading YouTube
A practical overview of Turbo Charged Reading YouTube 
How to choose a book. A Turbo Charged Reading YouTube
Emotions when Turbo Charged Reading YouTube
Advanced Reading Skills Perhaps you’d like to join my FaceBook group ?
Perhaps you’d like to check out my sister blog:
www.innermindworking.blogspot.com         gives many ways for you to work with the stresses of life
www.turbochargedreading.blogspot.com    for extra TCR information
www.happyartaccidents.blogspot.com         just for fun.

To quote the Dr Seuss himself, “The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn; the more places you'll go.”

No comments: