Friday 22 May 2015

6 things to know about being STUMPED

I'm not a dandelion, I'm nipplewort.

6 things to know about being STUMPED

The other day I came home to find the men who hired to build my patio sitting in my backyard looking at a stump. This was not a normal stump. 
This was a giant, Paul Bunyan, Big John stump.
I sat down with them and I, too, considered the stump.
"George had to get his chain saw for that sucker," one of them finally said.
"Took two hours to get it out," another offered.
"I think it broke George's saw," the first chimed in.
"Why didn't you leave it in the ground," I asked. "You know, pour the cement around it?"
"We thought about it," the third said. "It wouldn't have been right."
They told me that they had managed to cut it up into the piece we were looking at
but that it had been twice as big and buried deep in the ground; a remnant of a primordial tree. Their task had been Herculean. They told me that if they poured the cement over the stump,
the darn thing could rot and my steps would fall in, and I would be upset with them
because they poured cement over a stump the size of San Francisco.
"It looks petrified," I said. "How many years do you think it would take to rot?"
The first guy shrugged, "Twenty. Thirty years."
I shrugged back. I would probably be dead by the time the stump rotted and my stairs fell in.
I guess it was the principal of the thing.
They would have known the stump was there and that leaving it was not professional.
We sat in the hot sun a while longer. Someone suggested carving the stump
into the likeness of the contractor. I liked that idea, but no one knew how to carve.
I thought we could make it into a table. Nobody wanted to level the top so I could put glass on it. Eventually, we all stopped looking at the stump.
The men moved it out of the way and started work again; I went inside to make dinner.
That stump has now been in my backyard for two weeks. I can't bring myself to get rid of it.
Like all things that are hard to get rid of, my stump eventually served a purpose. 
It taught me that:

1)  Everybody has a stump. It might be in your real backyard,
your professional backyard or your personal backyard, but it is undoubtedly there.
2) What you do with your stump will tell you a lot about yourself. 
Either you will dig it up and deal with it, or you will leave it to rot. 
If you leave it to rot your foundation will eventually collapse.
3) If you're stumped and need help, there is always someone willing to work hard
with you to take care of it as long as you work as hard as they do.
4) You can never go through a stump but that is not reason to panic.
You can go around them, over them and sometimes even under them. Under takes the longest.
5) Sometimes stumps are not as big as they look and sometimes they are bigger.
Size doesn't matter. Stumped is stumped.
6) Removing a stump but choosing to keep it as a reminder of what stood in your way
is a good thing. When you look at it you will always know that when it came to
you against the stump, you won. 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/6-things-know-being-stumped-rebecca-forster


Introduction to Turbo Charged Reading YouTube

A practical overview of Turbo Charged Reading YouTube 
How to choose a book. A Turbo Charged Reading YouTube
Emotions when Turbo Charged Reading YouTube
Advanced Reading Skills Perhaps you’d like to join my FaceBook group ?
Perhaps you’d like to check out my sister blog:
www.innermindworking.blogspot.com         gives many ways for you to work with the stresses of life
www.turbochargedreading.blogspot.com    for extra TCR information
www.happyartaccidents.blogspot.com         just for fun.

To quote the Dr Seuss himself, “The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn; the more places you'll go.”


No comments: