Sunday 6 April 2014

Simple Way to Put Aside Time for Myself

"We all need a client called Mr Potter - yes a wizard would be useful, 
Mr Potter  is for your pottering around time." M'reen

Simple Way to Put Aside Time for Myself

How often did I hear “I don’t have time”? Even if I don’t remember, I am sure I did, when I was a child, 
at home, on television, at school, at work.
Quite often does everyone around me repeat this phrase. I used to say it like a mantra too.
Living in a western society is not easy (living, in general is not easy).
Every day I operate, like many others, under a self constructed pressure to do better, to be better, 
to have perfect nails and hair, to be fit, to work and earn more, to be a better friend, better sister 
and so on.
And it all consumes time.
I used to daydream about going for a walk along the river, but I had to stay at work.
I wanted to stay in bed with a cup of delicious tea. Instead, I found myself attending yet another language course. I wanted to go skiing for a week, but I had more important things to do.
Sounds familiar?
And it was not the lack of time management which caused this situation of discontent. 
I was an ace in planning and to-do lists.
I had my long time and short time goals written down.
But, somehow I caught myself running out of energy and enthusiasm.
Then one day, something struck me.
I was doing some budgeting for the month, when it downed upon me why my time management methods will never allow me to have the time for myself.
It was not the techniques that were to blame. It was my wrong thinking.
I was sitting at my desk on a Sunday morning with my favorite cup of coffee, 
looking outside the window at leaves falling from a young oak in the yard.
It was a warm, clear autumn day and I wanted to deal with my planning as fast as possible 
so I could go for a walk.
I had my notebook in front of me and my laptop’s screen was showing my bank account balance.
I begun writing down the amounts I wanted to transfer for my saving accounts, charity, bills and others, then calculating what was left for what I call life: food, clothes, going out, transportation and others.
I then realized that for a couple of years now I had been putting aside and investing just after 
my payment for the apartment and bills for the phone, electricity, and so on – basically the stuff 
I could not live without.
When I was done with my budget, I followed to a heavy to-do list for the next week 
and begun to assign activities to certain points in time.
And then I got it. 
Time for myself, the time I was missing so much, was not on my list! There was my work, laundry, shopping, having lunch with friends, language course, helping my sister and million other things.
I knew very well that if saving and investing did not appear in my budget, I would never manage 
to transfer any amount of money to that specific cause.
And, if time for myself was not on the list, it could not become a part of my life. Time is like money!
I am sure you know what most people do with their money (and possibly, you follow this strategy as well): they earn, they spend and they save what’s left. There is usually nothing left.
It’s the same with time. I planned, I worked from my to-do-lists, and if I had any time left, I would do something for myself. I never had any time left!
If I wanted to save money, I needed to count the amount that I wanted to put aside as a cost.
That meant paying myself first. I begun to introduce this idea to my time planning – I would write 
Time for myself” in my calendar and I would not erase it!
It entered my to-do lists. And it became my priority.
I made three simple rules, which I am careful not to break:
-          Do not lie to yourself and other people (do not use the phrase “I don’t have time”). 
You have time! Like everyone else on this planet, you have exactly 24 hours a day.
-          Do not resign from sleep. You will be more effective and energetic when you sleep enough.
-          You must learn to say “no” to people asking you for something and not feel guilty about it. 
You must make time for yourself a priority. Convince yourself that this is something you need (like breathing and eating). It must become your MUST. You don’t need to explain to anyone why or what for.
I must admit it does not come easy. Some people just can’t take “no” for an answer and sometimes 
I’m almost sick with guilt when I explain “why not”.
Accidentally I cannot take “no” for an answer as well. I sabotage my own laws by doing housework during my time, then pretending nothing happened and avoiding looking in my own eyes in the mirror.
So as you see, it is not a classic happy ending, as I am still learning to say “no” and discovering 
what is important to myself.
But managing my resources, both time and money, taught me one thing:
It is vital to recognize what you really need in your life and make it a priority – with no regrets 
and no guilt!
Making time for rest, passions and little pleasures is not selfish, it’s healthy.
And as you begin to treat the time for yourself as a natural and necessary ingredient of life, 
you will feel more energetic, worthy and self-confident.
If you were just saying to yourself “oh, I would love to feel more energetic and self-confident”, 
don’t just sit but grab a red pen and write your name on a page in your calendar.
Plan a great date with yourself for one hour and don’t allow your children, dog, boss or delivery boy break your peace.
Paint, listen to your favorite music or take a long walk. The world will probably not fall apart 
during your absence.
And if it does, you’ll have even more time for yourself.
_______________________________________________________________________
Danka Czarnecka draws cartoons for her blog. She is on a mission to become a better and happier person. She believes that to make the best of oneself is the most useful thing one can do for others. On her blog she shares her observations about life hoping to inspire her readers and… make them laugh.

http://www.growupproper.com/simple-way-to-put-aside-time-for-myself/

Perhaps you’d like to check out my sister blogs:
www.innermindworking.blogspot.com            gives many ways for you to work with the stresses of life
www.turbochargedreading.blogspot.com       describes the steps to reading in the way your mind prefers
www.happyartaccidents.blogspot.com          just for fun
www.turbochargedreading.com                    for your advanced reading techniques

To quote the Dr Seuss himself, “The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn; the more places you'll go.”

No comments: