Tuesday 21 April 2015

Getting a job is not an accomplishment.



Realise your potential regardless of the season.

GETTING A JOB IS NOT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT
 “Getting a job is not an accomplishment.”
The first time I heard this, I thought it was a harsh statement. Maybe you do, too.
Years later, it stayed with me. Maybe it will stay with you, too.
I lived in New York City and worked in Mayor Bloomberg’s Administration.
I was the Assistant to the Commissioner at the Department of Consumer Affairs. It was a good job. But I didn’t like it much. I’d say I was average at it. I had a great boss. I liked him.
He was a strong leader. He was always the smartest person in the room. 
Every time. For 2 years.
He was always the smartest. I learned from him. Every day, I learned from him.
I probably should have paid him for hiring me.
One night, we left an event together.
The topic of employment came up on our walk back to the office.
He commented,“Getting a job is not an accomplishment. 
So many people think getting the job is the accomplishment, 
but it was you do once you get the job that is a true measure of your success.”
I wondered if he was talking to me. Maybe he was.
I wanted to be better at my job, but my heart was not in it.
I made a promise to myself that night. 
Once I found something I loved to do, I would use this success metric.
Years later, I found something I love doing.
Coaching, speaking, and writing about topics just like these.
How do you set yourself apart in the new economy.
Here are a few ways that have helped me "do more" with my job.
I wish I would have figured them out way sooner. But I didn’t.
 I try to do them now. They seem to work for me. I hope they work for you, too.

Realize getting the job is not the accomplishment. 
be fair, landing a job is a first step. I get that. But, my old boss was right.
This is where your work begins.  It means nothing that you have a job.
There is no guaranteed security. It can be gone tomorrow, unless you are invaluable!
So don’t waste much time getting settled. Don’t wait until everyone at your job knows you.
Don’t worry if they like you (yet). Just begin. 

Care a little more than everyone else. I am shocked at how many people just don’t care
- about excellence, about follow-through, about customer service, about growth.
When I have demonstrated to my clients that I can care a little more than people are used to
(and believe me, that is a low bar), I get repeat business.
Then those clients and organizations refer business to me.
Then I show the new set of clients I care a little more than everyone else. Then they are happy.
Then they refer me business. Then the cycle continues. And it always continues.

Blow people’s minds. This is sort of connected to caring a little more, but is even more important.
If only a small percentage of people care, then close to no one is blowing people’s minds.
Especially employees.  I once offered to cover a Saturday shift for a co-worker of mine
who had a family birthday party to attend. He did not even ask me (or anyone) to do this favor
for him. When I offered, he was shocked. “You blew my mind,” he told me.
I had nothing else to do that day, so was happy to do it. I just went through a breakup,
and was depressed. He was doing me a favor by letting me cover the event.  
But to him, it was a big deal. He became my “go-to” if I needed anything
from our external affairs department.
Translation: He saved my butt many times when I forgot about a last minute tasks. Many times.

Know what other people in your organization are working on.
Connect people within your organization and company.
Spend time thinking about who in your external network can help those you work with.
Become a bridge builder. Bring opportunities, new deals, more business,
or increased media exposure. Assistants are easy to replace.
Cubicle employees are being commoditized. A bridge builder is hard to find.
A bridge builder who knows how to connect others is impossible to replace.
Your boss knows this. You should too. If you want a promotion, become a master connector.
If you like people and want to succeed in life, become a master connector. 

Think and Leverage. 
Even if it is your first day on the job, think about what your ideal next move would be.
I wish I would have done this. I knew I wanted to leave the Mayor’s Administration
and start my own public speaking career a year before I left.
My boss was asked to speak at many events. He often had to pass because of other commitments.
If was smarter, I would have offered to go and speak in his place.
I could have become an expert in an array of topics.
I could have used the credibility of the well-known and respected agency.
This would have been useful since I had no credibility and no one really knew me.
I would have gained speaking experience and exposure. On someone else’s dime.
Think about ways you can use your current job to propel you into your next move.
Then get to it.

If you are not cultivating the skills above, your entire future is in the hands of one person.
Your boss.
If your future is in the hands of one person, you are a slave. You are owned.
You are a piece of property. If you make yourself invaluable, you are free.
Even if you get fired, you are free. In this economy, if you are not free, you are dead.
You don’t want to die.
You want to live.
`
About Brian:
Brian Rashid is a TED speaker, public speaking coach, and high-performance trainer.
He works with Executives from companies like Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, Jawbone,
Salesforce and others to help them with communications coaching, branding, and innovation.
He speaks at companies, organizations, and universities across the country on the topics
of entrepreneurship, lifestyle design and how to make money in the new economy
doing what you love

For more content, please visit brianrashid.com 

Introduction to Turbo Charged Reading YouTube
A practical overview of Turbo Charged Reading YouTube 
How to choose a book. A Turbo Charged Reading YouTube
Emotions when Turbo Charged Reading YouTube
Advanced Reading Skills Perhaps you’d like to join my FaceBook group ?
Perhaps you’d like to check out my sister blog:
www.innermindworking.blogspot.com         gives many ways for you to work with the stresses of life
www.ourinnerminds.blogspot.com               a business and career orientated blog

To quote the Dr Seuss himself, “The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn; the more places you'll go.”



No comments: